Re: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 01:25:58 EST

In <20000311055229S.mccramer@s.netic.de> Meino Christian Cramer (mccramer@s.netic.de) wrote:

> Hi!

> I just compiled 2.3.51 installed it and boot.

> After starting XFree, it turns out, that the ptys under devfs are
> not accesible or something that way, cause rxvt/xterm could not
> be started ("not ptys available")...

> Extra pty support was not configured as it was said in the Readmes und
> Documentation/filesystems/devfs...

> Any idea what I done wrong ?

Yes if you are using GLibC 2.1.2 (suppose you doing). Not you but GLibC's
maintainers. There are UGLY, UGLY hack to check is devpts is not mounted and
fall back to use "old, good way". Unfortunatelly in case of devfs this hack
fails horribly and "old, good way" is not available. It's fixed in glibc 2.1.3
by making ugly hack even more ugly but devfs compatible...