Re: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 01:08:21 EST

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> just tried 2.3.50 and again my Xircom Ethernet/Modem/ISDN cardbus combo
> is a no-go. This time the other way round: it fails to allocate resource
> 0 for the Ethernet part and succeeds in allocation the the resources for
> the serial part. Here are the relevant kernel messages:
>
> kernel: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.11
> kernel: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pm]
> kernel: Adding cardbus controller 0: Texas Instruments PCI1225
> kernel: Yenta IRQ list 0698, PCI irq0
> kernel: Socket status: 30000020
> kernel: Adding cardbus controller 1: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (#2)
> kernel: Yenta IRQ list 0698, PCI irq0
> kernel: Socket status: 30000006
> kernel: cs: socket 0 timed out during reset

The socket 0 timed out thing should be fixed in 2.3.51.

It's due to the TI cardbus controllers not correctly sensing the power of
the inserted card, so the higher level layers will try to apply 5V power
and it goes to hell from there. I added code in 2.3.51 to notice when the
power sense is wrong and force a new VS sense event.

The rest of the problems are probably not related, but I'd like to know
that 51 does indeed at least fix this one..

                Linus