Re: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 21:14:34 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Wakko Warner wrote:
> >
> > By the way, last time I tried (2.3.48 or 49 I believe), yenta grabbed the
> > IRQ for my PCI sound card... again.
>
> Why is that a problem? PCI irq's are shared.

Last time it did, playing sounds and using the cardbus nic had more
problems. But I thought IRQ allocation would use first available before
sharing. irq 3,9,11 are available on this laptop before inserting the card.

Are there any utilities that can be used to change the IRQ of pci devices?
I realize they won't stick if changing the IRQ at runtime is possible.

> If the sound driver doesn't realize that it has to ask for a shared irq,
> then the sound driver is broken and always has been. I'm eagerly awaiting
> a patch ;)

I wish I knew how to patch this kind of thing =)