Re: [2.3.51pre2] wrong shm_statfs in ipc/shm.c

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 10:45:51 EST

In <38C900FB.D0F74962@grad.physics.sunysb.edu> Rui Sousa (rsousa@grad.physics.sunysb.edu) wrote:
> Alexander Viro wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, David S. Miller wrote:
>>
>> > + buf->f_type = 0;
>>
>> Scratch this line - default for undefined is -1 and it's set by callers.
>>

> Now you two are tied in number of bugs per patch :).

> And why do we need another virtual file system?
> I don't remember seeing any discussion about it and
> I'm just curious...

There was discussion about it back in decemeber. For POSIX's IPC (not SVR IPC!)
something akin to filesystem was needed. And Linus said that it's better to
introduce real filesystem then to do horrible hacks. No hot discussion were
since it's very small and simple filesystem and it does not affect other parts
of kernel.