Re: Help in DSM design

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 10:11:21 EST

Paul Jakma <paul.jakma@compaq.com> said:

[...]

> correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't all the SysVR4 derived unices
> (T64/IRIX/Solaris/Unixware) using Mach based kernels? And MacOS X too?

All monolytic, except possibly MacOS X (don't know that one, and I remember
Apple's Linux was on Mach, because they wanted to build their OS based on
Mach, so it could be). WinNT was based on Mach, but is going to monolytic
step by step too. The OS of the huge multiprocessor CRAYs was a microkernel
OS running on what was essentially a cluster of machines with a very fast
internal network, dunno what became of that.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl