Maximum sockets & a SYN question

From: Matthew J Zito (mjz207@is9.nyu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 21:11:48 EST

We are writing an application that will be creating a large number
of tcp connections. What we need to know is:

How many tcp sockets (outgoing and incoming) can a process create/manage?

and (on an unrelated note):

Is there a way to adjust the amount of time an un-ACKed SYN will remain in
the queue to be processed?

We are trying to reduce our vulnerability to SYN floods and along with syn
cookies and increasing the tcp_max_syn_backlog, we would like to set an
upper bound on the amount of time linux will wait for a host to respond to
the syn acknowledgement. Is there a way to do this? It appears that, by
default, a SYN will stay in the queue for several minutes before being
dropped - we'd like to set it to something like 30 seconds.

We're using 2.2.14.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Zito