Re: Kernel bootup

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 18:18:29 EST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Android wrote:

>> > I realize this question must get asked alot, but I need to know the answer.
>> > How can I boot up Linux wihout the kernel switching to graphics mode?
>> > I never did this is 2.0.x kernals. Do I need to recompile it with special
>> > settings?
>> > Maybe I can use an option with loadlin? Any help would be appreciated.
>> Thanks.
>I am using Slackware Linux version 7 using Kernel 2.2.13
>The kernel (not INIT) switches to graphics mode, and shows a penguin
>around the time of the CPU test (speed check, floating point check, etc).
>Then it does additional checks, like which drives you have, etc.
>Then it mounts root, then loads INIT, which takes over and runs the scripts
>in inittab.
>
>This graphic switch is indeed in the kernel somewhere. It has nothing to do
>with INIT.
>In fact, I can use other generic kernels available in the distribution that
>do not
>switch to graphic mode during bootup.

Rebuild the kernel WITHOUT framebuffer support, and WITH vgacon
instead. You've enabled the graphical framebuffer, presumeably
without intending to.

If both are compile into the kernel, you may be able to force
vgacon with console=vgacon or something like that..

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS