Re: no /dev/sndstat or /proc/sound, sound still works

From: David Ford (david+nospam@killerlabs.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 15:28:54 EST

Ok, is there a generalized API or sysctl to collect the loaded drivers and
their settings so we can have an 'lssound' like 'lspci'?

Card config:
ESS Maestro FM port at 0x388
ESS Maestro MIDI port at 0x330 irq 7
ESS Maestro at 0xec00 irq 5

Audio devices:
0: ESS Maestro-2E Rev. Q

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: Maestro external MIDI

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: ESS Maestro (TRA6)

The above is much more informative than trying to grok /proc/ioports and
interrupts and related.

If you don't save your settings somewhere, /proc doesn't tell you enough to
set them in a new kernel compile. /proc is only reporting settings
currently in use and that can lead to an information decay if for example
MIDI isn't used for a while and the config is eventually lost.

One has to resort to shooting in the dark to find where it's at again. PCI
makes things much easier, but a good many of us still have ISA sound which
really hates being autoprobed.

-d

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:03:46 +0100
> From: Christoph Hellwig <chhellwig@gmx.net>
> To: David Ford <david+validemail@killerlabs.com>
> Subject: Re: no /dev/sndstat or /proc/sound, sound still works
>
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 05:25:58PM -0800, David Ford wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > /dev/sndstat and /proc/sound are no more aviable since 2.3.50, they were
> > > obsolete since 2.2.
> >
> > and the replacement is? those files are _really_ handy for copying to a
> > text file to keep a note of what your settings were for drivers and io/irq.
>
> There is no replacement ...
> It worked only for the oldy style OSS drivers (isa cards).
> The settings you select are now selected by the kernel command line.
>
> Christoph

    \|||||| &%&%&%&    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
   @|<O>~<O>|' |o> @|&     fix one bug, compile it again...
     | __/ | /,    |&     101 little bugs in the code....
      E-- |--HUGS---