Re: Allow debuger to examine real parent

From: Mike Coleman (mkc@kc.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 14:03:59 EST

Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
> > - p->pid, p->p_pptr->pid,
> > + p->pid, p->p_opptr->pid, p->p_pptr->pid != p->p_opptr->pid ? p->p_opptr->pid : 0,
>
> I think you should compare p->p_pptr and p->p_opptr to check for a
> tracer, not the pid values. Because the pid values can be the same even
> when there's a tracer:
>
> - the real parent is tracing its child; or
>
> - someone used CLONE_PID

This is a good point, but in the case where the real parent is tracing, won't
p->p_pptr == p->p_opptr anyway?

If the new field is going to be called 'Tracer', it should probably always
give a pid if the child is being traced. So, the above line would turn into
something like

+ p->pid, p->p_opptr->pid,
+ p->p_pptr != p->p_opptr && p->flags & (PF_PTRACED|PF_TRACESYS) ? p->p_pptr->pid : 0,

Alternatively, the new field would just be 'OriginalPPID' and always spit out
p->p_opptr->pid. This would be a little less useful, though.

--Mike

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.