bringing network card down can crash the linux kernel....

From: ying@almaden.ibm.com
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 12:53:35 EST

Hi,

I played with some recent 2.3.xx kernels (2.3.45, 2.3.48, 2.3.35) on my
2-way IBM Intellistation SMP (P II 400 MHz) and found a problem with both
SMP and UP kernels:
If I bring the network card (acenic) down in the middle of some network
heavy tests by doing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop", say, this can cause
kernel panic. Another way to cause the same problem is to reboot the system
in the middle of the run.

I believe the problem is that when the card is down, if the process is in
the middle of handling an interrupt from the card, the kernel is really
unhappy.
The problem only shows up when you are running HEAVY network load, so there
is a high chance that some process is right in the middle in interrupt
handling.
I'd get message like
"Shutting down interface eth1 Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address 00000060" followed by the call trace stuff.
Then I'd get
"Aiee, killing interrupt handler,
Kernel panic: Attempt to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handle - not syncing"

Anyone has experienced similar problems or have some fixes already?

Ying