Re: Configuration language issues (was Re: drivers/net/Config.in cleanup)

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 03:40:15 EST

>And in practice, users report a lot of "I want to turn on Feature Y but
>I can't figure out which Feature X enables it".

This one could be solved by letting menuconfig show all selections, not
merely the available one. (As an optional mode of operation)
The "unavailable" choices could be grayed out, and using "help" could
show
what else you need to turn on. Or maybe the stuff you need to turn on
should be right
there on the display, or even automatic: Turn on a disabled feature and
everything
necessary get turned on too.

One would really need two types of "if" for this to be sane. There is
no need to
show the DMA settings for each and every un-selected soundcard, for
example. But it
could be a nice way to get at settings that are disabled by a choice in
a *different* branch of the tree.

Helge Hafting