Linux 2.2 ARP Issues

From: Dru R Nelson (dnelson@rocketmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 01:32:24 EST

Hello Linux Kernel List,

I am not a member of this list, but I wanted to share my insight
on the ARP policy decision. It definitely affected my network.
We have one of these new switch/router/load balancer devices.
We have a linux box on both sides of it with two ether interfaces.
They are on different logical IP networks, but on the same
ethernet VLAN. The switch/router acts like a switch most of the
time, but for certain packets it will do NAT with load balancing
(especially for those coming from the internet)

Here is where the problem lies. When an arp request happened
on the inside network, it would get to the inside interface
of the linux box first. A reply was sent. Meanwhile,
the other packet made it's way through the switch and the other
interface replied. Now the client uses the outside interface.
Now things could work, however, the switch/router/lb decided
to NAT the address when it is tcp. It is supposed to do that.
The end result is a bunch of tcp session timeouts whenever
those boxes needed to talk to each other. This caused us some weird
network problems for several days.

As a result, I am applying one of the few patches I've found
that bind ARP's to the interface. I like the one that filters
on arp receive.
I would like to recommend getting this into the mainstream kernel.
The 'hidden' flag would not apply to my problem.

Dru Nelson
San Mateo, California