Re: Linux responsiveness under heavy load

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 18:33:48 EST

All,

FYI. Earlier versions of Windows NT had this same problem (and it still
does). The way they got around it was to "cheat" by cranking up the
priority of the console an Windows GUI subsystem anytime someone hit a
key or moved the mouse. In fact, an NT server is still heavily loaded,
but by making the display look and feel "snappy", it presents the
illusion that the server has great responsiveness under heavy load.
This stuff in NT is all hard coded (Since their GUI is tightly
integrated with the OS), and if Linux wanted to do the same, the X
Server and bash would probably be the places to do this .....

Jeff