Re: tracing utility

From: Paul Schulz (pauls@caemrad.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 17:30:22 EST

"Vijay Subramani" <vijay_is_here@vsnl.com>

> Hi,
>
> How to trace a program which uses threads. gdb is useful for tasks which
> have a single thread of execution. Please let me know of any utility which
> does this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vijay

A package you might be interested in is TracePackage..
you have to use a patched the kernel, a module which logs interrupts, and a
userspace logging utility to obtain the logs..

Then there is a graphical tool which shows you everything[TM].

See: http://www.info.polymtl.ca/~karym/trace/

-- from the blurb --

In its simplest form, the Linux trace toolkit does
not need any specific libraries. Any properly configured Linux system
will do. By this, we mean a Linux system where the Linux header files,
source code and libraries are present. No, this will NOT work on any other
operating system, although you might be able to compile and use the graphical
environment.

This is obviously not very useful if you cannot get any data from the
kernel! As of 10/11/99, however, the data acquisiton
components require version 2.2.13 or 2.3.26 of the Linux kernel. Any other
version will not work.
You can very well do your data acquisition with a patched (more about
that in the next section) kernel and then reboot using any other
kernel to view the results. The performance hit for a pat
ched kernel compared to a "normal" one is, however, minimal;
Testing has shown that this is less than 1.5% on a normal use system
(measured using batches of kernel makes). On algorithm
intensive tasks, the impact is casi-null. On file intensive systems
(measured using batches of tar), the impact is less than 5%.

--
Paul Schulz(pauls@caemrad.com.au)                             SysAdmin
CAE MRad, Innovation House West, First Avenue, TECHNOLOGY PARK SA 5095