Re: Linux responsiveness under heavy load

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 16:26:01 EST

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Khimenko Victor wrote:
> > You can limit PROCESS'S cpu but you can not limit KERNEL'S cpu and in
> > your second example your system was mostly waited for disk to deliver
> > data in kernel mode (as for first example: 2.3 should help great deal
> > here but do not install it on production server now :-)
>
> Ingo's "low latency" patch should fix the kernel-hogs-CPU shouldn't it?

Even if in mentined samples kernel used more CPU more extensively then
all userspace processes combined still there were LOTS of CPU power free
to use. Real bottleneck is I/O :-/ And Linux is not good in this area
(especially with bad hardware like EIDE). 2.2 is better then 2.0, 2.3 is
better then 2.2 but steel cursor is not moving smoothly mcedit on
console (no X!) when there are paraller kernel and xfree86 compilation in
background ...