Re: ``depmod -a'' coredumping

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 06:59:41 EST

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 12:44:04 +0100,
Giuliano Cioffi <g.cioffi@piemme.it> wrote:
>Basically my problem is getting a coredump by issuing the
>``depmod -a'' command on a Linux box...

Please run "strace -f -o /var/tmp/depmod.trace depmod -Vaev" and mail
the compressed depmod.trace to kaos@ocs.com.au, not to linux-kernel.
Also include useful details like which kernel, which modutils, which
gcc, which binutils you are using. It is usually a good idea to run
  sh /usr/src/linux/scripts/ver_linux
and include the output when reporting kernel problems.

>If I try to telnet to this box sockets got open immediately, but
>I've got a 20 seconds delay before getting to the login screen.

Sounds like a DNS lookup problem, nothing to do with depmod. Your box
is trying to lookup the IP address of the client and that takes time,
especially if you have no connection to the outside world. Read the
DNS-HOWTO.