Re: Does your change make find faster by changing where it is storedor where it is returned?

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 16:28:51 EST

Ok, you may have been wondering where my questions were going, now I can
explain.

You are proposing changing the VFS interface for an ext2 specific optimization.

What I propose is that if you are going to change the interface you change it
more thoroughly and better.

That is, I propose that instead you make it possible to access any piece of
stat-meta-data without having to access the other pieces of metadata. stat()
forces you to access everything, and sometimes you don't want everything.

I'll say more if it interests you, otherwise I'll wait until one of my
programmers has time to code it and make a patch out of it for people to play
with and see if they like it, which might be quite some time from now as we are
focused on 2.3 porting at the moment.

Hans

You can get ReiserFS at http://devlinux.org/namesys, and customizations and
industrial grade support at reiser@idiom.com.