Re: [NFS] bad inode number: 0 and NFS

From: Marc Merlin (marc_news_va@valinux.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 21:09:14 EST

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 09:04:41PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> > However, the dentry returned by d_alloc_root() here is never inserted
> > into the dcache tree and so can never map anything to anything. It
> > gets totally discarded when dput is called on it.
> which means what?
>
> Am I corrupting my FS?

It's almost certain that you're not.
What's happening is that when the ext2 code sees a request for inode 0, it
freaks out, assumes that there is filesystem corruption, because it thinks
it's the only way you could have had a reference to inode 0.
Now that we have kernel NFS, the nfs code can try to stat inode 0 by mistake
and get ext2 to think something is wrong with the FS, when it's really only
knfs that is confused.

Marc

--
VA Linux Systems Linux IA64/Engineering Sysadmin. 408 542 8661

Finger marc_f@merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information