Re: SMP 2.2.15pre13 unstable on Dell PE1300 - aic7xxx related?

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 16:54:39 EST

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, David L. Parsley (lkml account) wrote:

> We bought a Dell Poweredge 1300 w/ dual PIII-500 & 256M ram, and have had
> problems with 'sudden death' - it reboots immediately and reports an error
> along the lines of 'Memory error or NMI'. [...]

hm, Linux has no such message. Do you get this 'Memory error or NMI' when
the BIOS does the RAM check? This could be a fault in a RAM chip being
triggered by high DMA traffic. Sporadic reboots in the 2.2.latest kernel
line are almost certainly a sign of hardware error. (it could also be
overheating of any hw component: RAM, motherboard, CPU or disk)

-- mingo