Re: Reliability

From: Dale Amon (amon@vnl.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 14:42:29 EST

As Chip noted, some aerospace applications steer clear
of anything that makes the code unpredictable. The
shuttle computers are like this for example. They need
to be absolutely verifiable and testable, and any form
of asynchronous behavior makes that impossible.

I don't believe this is as much the case for unmanned
or non-mission critical manned systems. I even know
of one commercial company that is planning on
<goes into uncontrollable shuddering> using Windows CE
for planetary missions.

In any case, aerospace is a whole different kettle
from what most of you are used to. And a whole lot
more can be at risk.