Re: APIC error interrupr on CPU

From: Rainer Mager (rvm@gol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 23:21:20 EST

Hi all,

    I've received a few replies regarding my APIC errors (thanks!!).
Basically everyone has said that these are "non-lethal" and usually caused
by overclocking or by motherboards that aren't designed for the CPU speed
that is running. Of course this is possible but in my case I am not
overclocking and (according to the marketing) my MB is designed for my CPUs
(PIII 600s).
    I suppose I can live with these messages, especially if they do prove to
be non-lethal, but I would much prefer to "fix" the problem if that is
possible. One possible solution that was given to me was to increase
cooling. My CPUs are currently running at around 49 deg C right now. My
understanding is that this is well within reasonable range. If I cooled
these more, is it truly likely these errors will decrease?
    Another solution that was presented was adding the boot param,
"nmi_watchdog=0". Can anyone explain what this is, what it does, and if it
is a good idea or not?

    Thanks for the continued assistance,

--Rainer