Re: 2.3.48 devfs problem

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 21:59:08 EST

Thomas Sailer writes:
[About USB devfs]
> It's a standalone file system because it has fairly special needs
> and the overhead of it being its own fs is small.
>
> If people think this should be unified with devfs I'm open to
> suggestions. Right now, usbdevfs needs its own inode numbering
> scheme in order to find the appropriate usb_bus and usb_device
> structure on open.

Do you really need to track devices using inode numbers? Why not use
the info pointer to <devfs_register>, which will be written to
file->private_data upon open of the device. You can encode a 32 bit
number here, or have a pointer to a device instance structure.
IMO this is far neater than using device/inode numbers.

Please consider this approach. Contact me off-list if you're
interested in pursuing it. Unless there's something really different
about USB (I don't think there is: it just happens to really require
dynamic device support), it should work very cleanly with devfs. After
all, one of the design goals of devfs was to at last make hot-plug
devices work properly.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au