Re: Linux 64 bit - Trillium

From: Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@RUM.CS.YALE.EDU)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 13:17:25 EST

> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 01:46:09PM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
>> - Crays (the non-vector models; I suspect that Linux doesn't
>> would be very suitable on a vector-machine. But I could
>> be wrong)
> i heard they don't have an MMU. ucLinux on a Cray, baby! I've heard
> people talking about merging ucLinux into 2.5, but they're crazy people.

They most definitely do have an MMU. The vector models usually (always?)
used process-swapping rather than demand-paging: no page faults (because
exceptions weren't precise). I don't know if the non-vector models allowed
paging or not.

> The AS/400 is more like a toaster than a computer. They take an interesting
> approach of implementing a protected machine via software 'trust'. The
> compiler generates apps that are written in an interpreted layer and have
> been validated to some extent. The code is then executed JIT style with
> trust checks in the code. The real hardware is much akin to an MMUless 386.

AS/400 has been using PowerPC derivatives (PowerAS :-) processors for
a fairly long time now. Is it really MMUless ? I know they use a single
address space, but an MMU can still be useful for many other things.

        Stefan