buffer/cache figure question (2.3.x)

From: Lawrence Manning (lawrence@aslak.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 06:12:33 EST

I thought I understood how the buffer figure from meminfo shows only the
dcache and that all other block buffering is shown in the cache figure.
But this morning (after the machine being idle for about 8 hours) I find
about 40meg in the buffers. Now its back to its usual 4meg. Can someone
please enlighten me? I tried to follow the code, but got as far as
atomic_read(&buffermem_pages) in si_meminfo...

Lawrence