2.3.49pre1 ate my file system

From: Taneli Vähäkangas (taneli@firmament.fi)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 04:51:32 EST

(well, it only chewed bits off, but anyway)

The scenario: run apt-get install cvs. It stops after saying "Configuring
packages". Wait a long time. Press Ctrl-C. apt-get gets killed. Repeat a
few times. Then strace apt-get. strace reveals that apt-get does
nothing after writing the above string to stdout. Stop strace. Wait at the
prompt. Run apt-get on some other (new) package. At the middle of it
everything freezes. Some characters on screen appear to be corrupted
(flipped bits or something, I'm using matroxfb). No SysRq,
nothing. Reboot.

fsck (e2fstool v1.18) finds a lot of errors on / and /usr. Tells me to
fsck manually, which I do. Puts some dozen files to /lost+found (all
of which seem to be done by apt-get in the last run). Finally it is
finished. Log in. Retry apt-get install cvs, hangs again. Ctrl-C kills
it. telinit 1. fsck -f /. No errors. telinit 2. Hangs while starting
syslogd. SysRq-P reveals kernel is in default_idle. Boot process continues
after a long wait (several minutes). Loads a few daemons, then the kernel
freezes. No SysRq, nada. Reboot. fsck finds a few errors on both / and
/usr, but not nearly so much as on previous run.

Kernel is compiled with gcc 2.95.2 and binutils is 2.9.5.0.22. I'm also
using alsa sound drivers (the drivers are modular and loaded, but no
program used them when this happened). Nothing in the logs. More info
available on request.

        Taneli <taneli@firmament.fi>