Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:33:23 EST

Alan, the 2.2.15pre12 VM is not working correctly. I just complained about
that changes a few weeks ago and here are the first two bug reports
(different):

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:43:32 +0100 (CET)
>From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@fenrus.demon.nl>
>To: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de>
>Subject: 2.2.15pre9 and virtual memory
>
>Hi,
>
>I am running tests on a SMP system with kernel 2.2.15pre9, and I see
>some behavior I cannot explain. My machine has 96 Mb ram and 128 Mb
>swapspace, and the systemload is something like
>
>while (1) {
> make mrproper
> make randomconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage
>}
>
>Once in a while (about every 4 hours or so), the gcc in the "make bzImage"
>aborts with the message "Out of virtual memory".
>
>Can this be caused by bad hardware, or is this a bug/problem with the
>memory-management in the kernel?
>(I can imagine that there are too many dirty pages, and the swap-IO to
>disk isn't fast enough, so no memory is available immediately. This would
>be an undiserable situation though...)
>
>Greetings,
> Arjan van de Ven

Arjan just told me 2.2.14aa* is rock solid in the same conditions.

These are the VM changes that I propose for the official 2.2.15. They are
against 2.2.15pre12.

        ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/proposed/v2.2/2.2.15pre12/VM-1.gz

Comments are welcome.

Thanks.
Andrea