Re: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 17:40:32 EST

Hi!

> > Well, actually AFAIKT, it's not symbolic links as we have in UNIX-land
> > that's the great part.
> > As I understand it it's the server part actively searching for identical
> > files and then symlinking them, i.e. automagically.
> >
> > What I can't figure out is, why it took them so many years, and are they
> > really first?
>
> I don't know their implementation, but it sounds like 'copy on write' but
> on disk instead of in RAM - and with a tool that merges the blocks or
> files into a COW-marked block/file at regular intervals.
>
> The big question is of course, why they HAVE so much redundancy on disk in
> the first place in their "flagship OS", that they need to resort to things
> like this to avoid it :) I mean, if redundancy really is that big a
> problem on a Linux box, we would have had compression techniques like this
> long ago (which it's all about - it's compression, but disguised in
> abstract files and "stores" instead of bit-string matching).

Actually, 40% of my disk capacity is wasted in duplicates. Why? I do
cp -a linux linux.backup before major changes. Automagicall ways to
get space back would be nice. (I also cp -a package ofic.package, so
that I can diff -ur later... Hardlinks are not enough because I do not
want to accidentaly trash ofic.)

So, I'd actually like cow-link. cp -a --cow-link mc ofic.mc would be
very usefull for me.
                                                                Pavel

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."