Re: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links

From: Anton Ivanov (aivanov@eu.level3.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 05:13:34 EST

On 02-Mar-2000 Matt Spong wrote:
>> Brilliant way to lose all your valuable data at once.
>
> How so?

I/O Err... BSOD Err... Err.. Err... Mouse moved, reboot to update error...

In other words have you ever tried to recover data from a compressed hard drive
that had gone I/O bad? Or after a memory failure?

>> There has been lots of cruft-removal, find-indentical utilities floating
>> around
>> the unix world for ages. At least one (methinks more) is actually packaged
>> with
>> debian. I wonder why they never came to wide use... ;-)
>
> Probably because the only reason Microsoft put this into W2k is that there
> is so much file duplication that they're desperate to find a way to reduce
> it. Win2k's MINIMUM INSTALLATION SIZE is 1 gb (!) and they know that
> people aren't going to stand for that type of thing for very much longer.

Why? The smallest disk you can buy today is 9G. An average W$ user will not
notice the difference.

The feature is mostly oriented towards server admins that have to deal with
11MB one page excell spreadsheets flying around.

> In the Unix world, this type of thing is much less of a problem, so there
> was never such a need for this type of utility.

Many admins have had their fingers burned by various compression features
before so they had to market the thing under a name that is different from
compression. And claim an innovation of course.

[snip]

There is non-OT question here and it is how exactly is the crap stored on disk.
For those of us who have to read Win file systems from linux this may be
a question of substantial interest. I do not have a W2K around so I cannot try.
Anybody tried it so far?

Anton R. Ivanov
IP Engineer Level3 Communications
RIPE: ARI2-RIPE E-Mail: Anton Ivanov <aivanov@eu.level3.net>