Re: IPX over IPSec availablity?

From: Hank Leininger (linux-kernel@progressive-comp.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 15:12:03 EST

On 2000-03-02, "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca> wrote:

> I've got a customer who wants to set up a VPN with Linux and
> IPSec. Part of the setup requires having VPN access to a Novell
> Netware server which runs on IPX only. Is it possible with the
> standard kernel + IPSec (freeswan) patches to have IPX tunnel
> over the IPSec VPN as well?

<scratches head> Did you ask this question a couple of weeks ago? ;)

AFAIK IPsec is an IP-only thing. Therefore no... unless you use some form
of IPX-in-IP encapsulation first, and then send those encapsulated packets
over IPsec.

> If this isn't currently possible, are there any projects to
> make it a reality at all? Would a 2.3 kernel help at all?

Well... the CIPE project may do what you want. The standard (and only
supported?) version does just encapsulated/encrypted IP. But, there was a
branch some time ago that could encapsulate/encrypt arbitrary Ethernet
frames -- therefore IP, Appletalk, IPX, etc. I don't know how hard it
would be to rev up those changes -- you may be able to do it, or throw beer
or $$$ at the developers.

CIPE lives at:

http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html

We have an archive of the CIPE mailing list at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=cipe&r=1&w=2

HTH,

--
Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>