Re: ext3 status?

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@home.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 15:49:01 EST

Jeff Merkey writes:
> I am assuming that the journal is being handled as a file (since it's
> represented as an inode), so after the convert, if I create the journal
> file empty, or not at all, EXT3 will auto-create it the first time the
> volume is mounted?

There are comments in the ext3 code to the affect that this will be done
in the future, but currently you are required to create a 10000 block
file from userspace and record the inode number (it will be #13 on a
new filesystem). Your conversion utility would have to do the same.

> Are there any meta-files other than the journal on EXT3 that may require
> to be present empty or with default data after the conversion less
> inodes and data extent records?

The first 12 reserved inodes at the start of an ext2 filesystem (with
appropriate data, if applicable) are also required for ext3.

> (OT)BTW - the NTFS driver (write) in Linux has data corruption on W2K.

EXT3 is itself still under development so I'd still be careful...

Cheers, Andreas