Re: 2.3.48, NCR53C81a and CD-ROM

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 07:27:58 EST

On Tue, Feb 29 2000, David S. Miller wrote:
> The problem is in fact that sc_data_direction is left set at
> SCSI_DATA_NONE for a scsi command that actually does transfer
> data.
>
> The culprit is sr.c:sr_packet().
>
> So the bug is that the generic cdrom layer needs to pass a data
> direction into the CDROM packet driver function, and I've told
> Jens Axboe to work on fixing this. I've CC:'d him here as a
> reminder.
>
> Any CDROM mount or other access will trigger this.

Sorry for the late responses, I've been away this past week.

Yes, basically any access will trigger it because a lot of the
basic commands go through the generic_packet hook. I've attaced
a (as yet) untested fix. Note that the cdrom_generic_command
structure has changed an thus the interface has changed to
user space programs using the CDROM_SEND_PACKET ioctl. An alternative
approach would be to look up the data direction based on the actual
command, but this is 2.3 and I think this does justify a slight
interface change.

Could the folks getting oopses in current 2.3 with SCSI CD-ROM's
try this?

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer