Re: oom killing

From: Jorge Nerin (jnerin@svalero.es)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:38:48 EST

ADAM Sulmicki wrote:

> > > Is there some sane (and easy) way to stop this crazed thing from
> > > killing my programs? if I need to kill something I can do this
> >
> > Which kernel version?
>
> more to the point, it happened twice.
> once when I was running 2.3.41 smp
> it was mozilla's (m13?) fault that it ate whole ram,
> it killed X only.
>
> the other time it happened was today
> it was kernel 2.3.47 smp
> it was netscape when I as testing s "stress" page
> (http://www.wam.umd.edu/~soref/stress.html)
> it killed sendmail,emacs and klogd few times..
>
> the box has 128mb ram and 128mb swap.
>
> any idea what's going on?

While compiling 2.3.48 i made a typo, I wrote make -j modules instead of
make-j4 modules, I hit intro and later when I came back I could saw that
X was frozen after a few seconds of the start of the compile, load of
3.3 instead of two or three dozillions, but my hd was scratching like a
mad, and after about 45 mins, the box froze and stop reponding to pings,
BTW I tried to telnet into, but no luck, I think the box was too busy.

These are the last messages in /var/log/messages and the box has two
200mmx, 96mb of ram and 198 of swap.

kernel: VM: killing process as
kernel: VM: killing process cpp
kernel: VM: killing process gcc
kernel: VM: killing process gcc
kernel: VM: killing process cc1
kernel: VM: killing process cpp
kernel: VM: killing process cpp
kernel: VM: killing process make
kernel: VM: killing process cpp
kernel: VM: killing process cpp
kernel: VM: killing process make
kernel: VM: killing process gcc
kernel: VM: killing process as
kernel: VM: killing process cpp
last message repeated 2 times
kernel: ip_conntrack: Wow someone raced us!

--
Jorge Nerin
<jnerin@svalero.es>