Re: bootimg and LOBOS

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 19:52:38 EST

Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> it's not the recovery part, it's regular flash.

Hmm, then I don't quite understand their position :-(

> As for bootimg I think it does enough that I can get LOBOS functionality
> out of it, so it's no big deal. But we still have to think about PTEs on
> other boxes.

BTW, while working on the 0x90000 protection, I realized that one nice
property of relocate_and_jump() is that it doesn't write to reserved
pages either (unless you explicitly tell it to). So page tables can be
protected by excluding them in bootimg(8), and any "glue" can go into
stop_paging(), and maybe some architecture-specific setup function to
be called right before dsc.jump_to().

If necessary, I could also easily add a way to copy from physical
addresses, such that bootimg can take some page tables at well-known
but "unsafe" locations, and send them to a "safer" place.

- Werner