Re: sockets and NFS...

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 21:07:00 EST

> I have an NFS server running 2.2.13 (smp) and a client running
> 2.2.12-20smp. I am seeing error like this on the client
> system:

> nfs: server khan2 not responding, still trying nfs: server
> khan2 OK

> I put a note on Redhat's bug tracking system thinking it was
> something with NFS, they came back and said:

>> there is some heavy networking going on there that makes the
>> kernel on the client side to run out of available sockets. I
>> doubt this is related to the NFS server.

> Could somone point me in the right direction on changing the
> number of kernel sockets.

There exists no such option under Linux. The design is for 1 socket
per mount. What you're probably seeing is rather congestion of the
existing socket. This can have one of 3 causes:

Either:
   - Server is getting congested, and is replying too slowly to
     requests. In this case a 'tcpdump' will show large delays between
     the client sending out a request, and the server replying to it.
or
   - Actual network is congested, and you are running out of socket
     buffer space. You'll probably need to wait for linux-2.4 before a
     general fix is available (it has already been included in
     linux-2.3.x).
or
   - The RPC congestion avoidance algorithm is messing up. Try
     fiddling with increasing the 'timeo', and 'retrans' NFS mount
     option values.

Cheers,
  Trond