Re: /proc/nzombies (wrapup)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 17:25:44 EST

> One (interesting) comment was that the feature was not general enough,
> and should maybe be changed into a feature to obtain the entire process
> table quickly and efficiently from a userland program, thereby solving a
> bunch of other problems as well. I find that an interesting approach,
> and one that I'll ponder on for some time. Would this be "bloat" as
> well? Who knows.....?

Being able to yank the table fast is much more generic than the zombie thing
so yes I think it would be far more useful.

> The /proc/nzombies "feature" is obviously not a very important one.
> There are plenty ways to get this information (including a very nice
> loadable module nzombies.o that does the same, less efficiently, but it
> does not patch exit()/release()).

Remember also - if the nzombies patch is useful to you and it works, this
is free software - make it available. The fact its not relevant for the main
kernel stream doesnt mean its not worth havign a patch out there - some day
someone will be glad of it