suspend then resume multiple times -- don't you dare [was Re: Load linux...from linux?]

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 15:41:27 EST

Hi!

> > Hmm, I don't understand this. Why would the size of the swap partition
> > matter, and why do you have to copy it elsewhere ? As far as I can tell
> > from reading the swsusp description, you should be able to load directly
> > from your normal swap, no ?
>
> The point is you want to resume from the same suspended position multiple
> times. Its a bit like undumping emacs. And if you use a small swap

Alan, hopefully you don't do this on important machines.

Suspended image _may_ contain FS caches. Probability is rather low,
but that can happen. If it happens, you have data corruption next time
you resume. Just don't do that. Also, suspended image probably
contains i-cache and d-cache. No, I'm sure you don't want to do this.

                                                                Pavel
PS: IIRC, I coded swap out so that it eat memory, and relied on normal
mm techniques... So above scenarios are possible.

--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss@linmodems.org