Re: APM_power_off

From: Andy Henroid (andy_henroid@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 04:41:30 EST

--- Daniel.Egger@suse.de wrote:

> BUT: Is there a way to test the correctness other
> than that strange win tool everyone in the world is
> reffering too?

Nope, not other than trying it and sending me
a bug report if your system has a broken ACPI
implementation. There are obviously still plenty
of broken implementations post 1/1/1999

> And: How can I use ACPI in real life at the moment?
> It seems to like like it's just a playground for
> developers but on the other side if it's enabled in
> the kernel APM automatically gets overridden, so
> laptop users would be rather silly to activate ACPI
> at the moment because the system will empty the
> battery really fast.

Actually, if you are running acpid, you'll get
a fair amount of power savings from ACPI C-states
(low power when the system is idle, like an
improved "hlt") So, no, you definitely will not
be draining the battery any faster than if you
were using APM.

The issue with ACPI support right now is that
you don't get battery status or suspend
capability. The former is fairly easy to do
and is coming along soon in acpid. The later
requires signficant changes to drivers and
probably the kernel and is going to take a bit.

-Andy