page cache newbie or page cache problem or both ?

From: bhartner@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 18:58:36 EST

[page cache newbie == yes]

I downloaded dbench and have been running it on a 2.3.48 4-way
200 Mhz with 256 Mb mem with ips SCSI adapter (IBM ServerRaid).

I created a command file that does cat /proc/meminfo once every
second, so I can monitor cache usage/free mem. I wanted to get
an idea of the working set of dbench as far the page cache goes.

After I reboot the system, I have :

MemFree: 229024 kB
Cached: 10984 kB

OK, looks reasonable.

If I run dbench 2 one time, I see "Cached:" peak at about 61000 kB during
the run and then drop back to 15196 kB when dbench completes.
Throughput is reported at about 27 MB/sec.

So it looks like 22.5 MB per dbench client.

If I run dbench 5, I see "Cached:" peak at about 135000 kB during
the run and then drop back to 19408 kB when dbench completes.
Throughput is reported as 15 MB/sec.

Ok.

If I run dbench 10 and wait until "MemFree:" is < 10 MB, and then,
[this may be the important part] kill dbench 10 with <ctrl-c>,
"Cached:" does not drop back.
"MemFree:" stays at about 6000 kB.

The next run of dbench 2 completes with a throughput of 3.6 MB/sec,
an 85% decrease.

Hmmmmm.

After the (3.6 MB) dbench 2 completed, "MemFree:" returned to about
50000 kB.

I ran dbench 2 again with only a throughput of 4.81 MB/sec reported.

Now, if I delete the files that were left over by the <ctrl-c> of dbench
10, then "Cached:" drops back to 7336 kB.

If I again run dbench 2, then throughput recovers to 28 MB/sec.

dbench 2 and dbench 10 are running on different physical disks in
the system. The file system in EXT2. The SCSI is ips (IBM ServerRaid).

Is something is not right here ? Why aren't pages being kicked
out of the cache and being reused if I <ctrl-c> ?

Bill Hartner
IBM Linux Technology Center
bhartner@us.ibm.com