Re: 1024 byte sector file system problem.

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 08:38:17 EST

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 08:51:16AM +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:

> should a disk that was fdisk/formatted on an earlier kernel (i.e.
> before this change, for example a 2.0.26 kernel) work _as is_ under
> the new kernels, or do I need to NFS copy my 100 gigabytes of data
> from one system to the other ?

No, you need to change a few bytes in the partition table.

(Roughly speaking: the partition is determined by the pair
(start,length). Earlier this was taken to be in 512-byte units,
now it is taken in hardware sector size units.
So, if your hardware sector size is 1024 bytes, these two
numbers must be halved. That is easy to do with some sfdisk
handwork. But I could write a tiny conversion utility
that does the `read, divide by 2, write' for you. Mail me
[not dwguest] if you need such a utility.)

Andries - aeb@cwi.nl