Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 01:35:58 EST

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 12:36:38PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> According to the old law of the land, and then enshrined in common law,
> if an apple tree has a branch overhanging the road, passerby commit no
> crime by plucking an apple from it to assuage their hunger.

Really? I'd say it depends on where you are.

Turning the attention back to network resources:

At least it's polite to ask first, but in many parts of the world it is
mandatory or you may be committing a crime.

BTW: If you'd use resources of one of our medical equipment (of course
our network is firewalled, but we are talking internal network here),
just because their crappy software comes with all network services
enabled, only the support tech is allowed to change this and he has
absolutely no idea what the network admin is talking about (I have seen
a mri scanner going wild after a simple snmp status probe from a network
management station and the support tech wouldn't allow turning the SNMP
daemon off!) and some people suffer injuries or even die as a result
of you action then i really wouldn't want to be you!

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla