Re: [linux-fbdev] Re: Linux console driver maintainer?

From: James A Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 10:12:24 EST

> > Wasnt it called KGI a couple of years ago ?
>
> IMNSHO, KGI is comprehensive but now _too_ generic

Alan is talking about the version of KGI called evstack/GGI console. Its
design goal to solve multihead issues. This was done by redefining what a
console was. It could be made of X amount of input devices and Y amount of
output devices. It worked by sending event packets from one device to
another in tree heirarchy structure. You could attach a device to various
places in the tree which controled the scope of the devices impact on
the console system. I played with the code many years ago.
  After the project died some of the developers kept it going. The design
goals changed. It still does multihead but it doesn't do all of the billon
features that GGI console could do. The new version of KGI goal is to
design a console system thats portable acroos different OS. It heard it
been patched against BSD, the dolphin OS, and some commerical OS.

Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
James Simmons (o_
fbdev/gfx developer (o_ (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net