lost interrupt

From: VAIDEANU Iulian Ionut (iulianv@fenrir.infoiasi.ro)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 05:43:07 EST

Hi,

I have the following problem with a CD-ROM drive and someone told
me you could help me: my IDE ATAPI cdrom isn't detected at boot time.
If I put `append="hdc=cdrom"' in lilo.conf, I can mount CDs, but
if I try to read a CD or copy something from it, after a few megs
it stops and starts saying `hdc: lost interrupt' every few seconds.
After that I can work normally, except that I can neither unmount /dev/hdc
(the CD-ROM), nor kill the process that was copying from the CD,
and I keep getting the `hdc: lost interrupt' message.
If I replace the CD-ROM drive (I tried Sony CRX100E), everything works
just fine, including boot-time detection, so I figure that it must be
a drive problem. But it works perfectly in Windows!

My computer is:

MB Chaintech 5AGM2, VIA MVP3 chipset, 100MHz FSB, AGP, UDMA33
CPU AMD K6-2/300 (3x100)
64 MB SDRAM (1 DIMM) PC100
HDD Quantum Fireball lct08 13, UDMA66 (detected as UDMA 4 in BIOS)
CD-ROM drive Funai E2850 (8x) (detected as MODE 3 in BIOS)
Video card Diamond Monster Fusion 16MB RAM AGP (3dfx VooDoo Banshee chipset)
Sound card Genius Soundmaker 64 PCI (Aureal Vortex AU8820 chipset)
Network card Genius GE2500III SE-2 PCI (10 Mbps, BNC+UTP)

Linux Mandrake 7.0, kernel 2.2.14-15mdk
(the problem also appears in RedHat 6.0/6.1)

I attach the result of `dmesg' on my system and some information
from `/proc'. If it's not enough, please let me know.

Thank you very much.