RE: buffer cache newbee

From: a9504915 (a9504915@graduate.hku.hk)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 20:55:31 EST

>===== Original Message From Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> =====
>On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Frank v Waveren wrote:
>"bdflush" and "kflushd" are the same thing (bdflush is the kernel name,
>kflushd is the name you see in `ps`).
>
>About the userspace the old "update" userspace daemon is been obsoleted by
>"kupdate" that is very more reliable and it's faster and uses less memory.

I haven't seen "kupdate", where can I find it?

When I ps I can see "kflushd" and "bdflush (update)" in standard redhat 6.0. I
read the source code of "bdflush (update)" (that is a rpm), it just issues
system call sys_bdflush to flush dirty buffers periodically. But it seems to
me that the kernel thread "kflushd" flushes buffers only when it is waken up
by other processes that need more buffer memory. So, I think the "bdflush
(update)" userlevel program is for flushing the dirty buffers periodically,
and the "kflushd" helps to flush buffers whenever necessary. That's why we
need both.

Am I right?

-- Roy