Re: /proc/nzombies

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 05:06:36 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Jos Visser wrote:

>Before I can fix the problem, or pound on the vendor, I have to be aware
>that the problem exists. I need automated system monitoring for that,
>and the system monitors must have a quick and efficient way to get at
>the information.

Ok, you're right - I never thought of that...

>Once I know the problem exists, and before the vendor has
>solved it (in which they are not always as responsive as one
>would like), I need to be able to implement an automated
>temporary fix (e.g. bouncing the parent process). The automated
>operations framework needs to recognise that the problem is
>occurring again, and therefore needs to get at the information.

Right.

>Obviously the problem are the closed source applications. It is usually
>not possible to dump an application that has been selected for
>functional/business purposes because of a minor technical
>problem/nuisance.

Ok, so I see your point, and agree that you do need to monitor
the system with something. Doing so in-kernel is likely a nice
easy way for you to do so, and that is fine. I don't think it is
ok to put it in the mainstream kernel though, as it just ads
more bloat. It would be useful for specific systems however.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS