Re: DMA doesn´t work [kernel 2.2.14]

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 01:46:33 EST

You have an ATA-66 drive and your mainboard can not perform the correct
backspeed calls from the BIOS. Thus, UltraDMA is disabled completely and
it reverts back to Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 or ATA-2.

UDMA0 == 16MB/sec or MDMA2 with CRC
UDMA1 == (forgot) ~22MB/sec
UDMA2 == 33MB/sec
UDMA3 == 44MB/sec
UDMA4 == 66MB/sec

Go to get the ata/ide update patches from linux.kernel.org and your
problem should go away.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> Richard Brunner schrieb am Freitag, den 25. Februar 2000:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a problem with my new hdd [Seagate Baracuda (ST328040A, 27199MB
> > w/512kB Cache, CHS=3467/255/63)]!
> > The DMA mode doesn´t work.
> >
> > DMA works with my second hdd (FUJITSU MPB3043ATU E, 4125MB w/0kB Cache,
> > CHS=8940/15/63, UDMA).
>
> Use "hdparm -i" to check the UDMA mode, "*" marks the one selected by
> the BIOS (udma2=Ultra 33, udma3=Ultra 66). Make sure that udma3 is only
> selected if (1) your motherboard supports it and (2) you have the right
> cable. If this is the problem then check if Seagate has a Utility to
> disable the Ultra 66 mode.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Walter
>
> -