Re: string-486.h?

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 21:46:07 EST

Artur Skawina <skawina@geocities.com> said:
> Horst von Brand wrote:
> > Nope. Look at include/linux/string.h and what it pulls in. It disables them
> > by just not using the __builtin_* versions, and creating its own. Not wise,
> > IMVHO.

> try it. been there, done that. (afaicr w/ 2.95 you can safely use builtin
> strlen, memset for clearing, and memcpy. the last causes minor problems, but
> as it's rare (only udf code used to trigger it) it can be work around.)

I made a jumbo patch (which is in the kernel now) quite some time back to
fix a few dozen files that weren't including string.h and so were
(inadvertently) using the compiler builtins. Nobody had noticed, so I do
believe you ;-)

There was a great fight over that issue then, with people claiming that the
kernel reimplementations where _much_ better than what gcc-2.7.2.3 gave.
Maybe they are, but using 2.7.2.3 is just bowing to political correctness
right now, IMHO. During 2.1.x much was overhauled for the stricter asm()
handling by egcs, and lots of bugs (asuming gcc would or would not do
certain optimizations) were fixed in the process. Today's gcc is 2.95.2,
2.7.2.3 is a dinosaur (and should have gone with them).

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616