Re: Capabilities

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 21:51:42 EST

corbet-lk@eklektix.com (Jonathan Corbet) said.

[...]

> Presumably the database, as stored in the kernel, would tie to both the
> device and inode numbers. It clearly can't work with just the file name
> alone. Some sort of direct attachment to a (permanently) in-core inode or
> dentry structure probably makes the most sense - it's where you would need
> to find it when the program is executed. But, again, I've not thought
> about how you would actually implement it.

There are filesystems around (FAT comes to mind) that have nothing
inode-like on which you could pin capabilities. It is certainly possible to
overwrite a file now, and the result has the same inode as before. So the
above will have to be supplemented with extra mechanisms, which will be
security-critical. Dunno if that is feasible.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616