Re: 2.3.4[67] does not boot with PAE36

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 19:33:44 EST

In article <AB4CB1CC6547D21197B00008C7F48FB402C10FE2@txexmta0.amd.com>,
 <nathan.zook@amd.com> wrote:
>I guess we basically pray that the bios gods don't put this data into kernel
>code/data regions? I can understand, I just want to be clear.
>
>01009120 ? If that is hex, it is just over the 16M limit. If decimal, just
>below 1M. I'm mostly curious.

It's decimal, which was a bug. Cosmetic, but confusing. Fixed.

So in any case, the memory was actually in the 640kB-1M area in this
case.

The actual floating hardware structure may not have been, but I'd really
expect the BIOS to protect it as an ACPI memory area or _something_,
because otherwise no OS is going to know to protect it (including WNT)

                Linus