Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 18:44:00 EST

   Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:23:40 -0700
   From: "Jeff V. Merkey" <jmerkey@timpanogas.com>

   I agree with this assessement, however, if the underlying IP stack
   returns errant data, then it could cause the application to
   malfunction, so I would not dismiss looking at what's going on in
   the IP stack so quickly, particularly since there seem to be other
   problems with NT servers related to this problem with ICMP
   requests. At any rate, this is Caldera's problem, since LIZARD is
   their installer. They have the trace and the info, and are looking
   at it.

Look at the trace, they ping the router and then scan the entire
subnet looking for a DNS server response to "auto-detect" the
DNS server IP address so they don't have to ask the user for
such details.

I think the bug is pretty obvious, and fatal in your configuration.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com