Re: 2.3.4[67] does not boot with PAE36

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 17:30:46 EST

> available memory. Hence, if the boot loader provided the information about
> the memory descriptors from the MPS table then we would not run into this
> problem. Based on the descriptors, paging init will be able to set up the
> needed 1:1 translations that would be needed to access MPS table etc. The
> MPS spec states:

The boot loader protects the EBDA and the low page of memory.

IFF the floating structure is in RAM outside of those two then we may trash
it. With 2.3.x the E820 stuff should avoid trashing it if its in high memory
marked as not free.

I assume leaving it in memory that is listed as free is not valid in practice
even though the spec allows it ?

ALan